YOUR STRATEGIC PARTNER IN HIRING
We are your strategic partner in the hiring process. Like any law school career office, we host job fairs, post job postings, and arrange for on-campus interviews. However, the CDO is here to assist beyond traditional career services offerings. We can help you draft postings to attract the best talent possible, understand market trends, and sort through the applicant pool in a way that goes beyond simple measurements such as rank or GPA. Our focus on individual student engagement allows us to actively identify and drive students to apply for positions, ensuring you receive the strongest possible pool of applicants. We can help you develop strategies to attract and assess a wider pool of highly qualified applicants, increasing diversity and retention. From big firms to solo practitioners, from urban to rural geographic locations, and throughout Utah and the nation, we are here to help you identify the best individual for your organization’s needs. In short:
We are here to be your partner.
"HOW TO" QUICK GUIDE
- Details - Students want to know about things like pay, hours, location and the kind of work they will be doing. Remember that many candidates have no exposure to legal work environments, so the more you can tell them the more they can envision joining you, and the more likely they are to apply.
- Culture - Give a couple of sentences about your organizations culture. Letting them know how you see yourselves goes a long way toward helping a student choose between employers.
- Practice Areas - Specifically listing your major practice areas, or those you are planning to grow, can be a huge asset. Remember that students have no idea that 90% of your practice is litigation, or that real estate is where you are looking to grow. This kind of information will help them self-select, giving you are stronger and more focused applicant pool.
- Point of Contact - Identify a person as a point of contact so that they know who to make their cover letter out to and where to send it.
- Short Deadlines Drive Applicants - We find that most students will apply just before the deadline. For this reason we think it makes sense to set a deadline no more than two weeks out in most cases. We can always reopen the posting if needed.
- Rolling Deadlines - If you are accepting applications on a rolling basis, make sure to emphasize that you are reviewing and hiring as applications come in, and that a hire will be made as soon as the right person is identified. This will help a busy student prioritize getting their application submitted in a timely manner.
MY SJQ STORY
“On reflection, I’m surprised to admit that what I remember most about law school is the students I studied with, struggled with, laughed with, and learned with. There are many classroom moments, of course, and hallway discussions with professors, but it is my fellow students who made the biggest mark on me. They were from everywhere and were of all shapes, sizes, colors, and backgrounds. I remember the hours we spent studying torts, the rule against perpetuities, the law of offer and acceptance and contracts; the late nights editing law journal articles; and so forth. We studied hard, but we helped each other learn. For the last several decades I have employed the same approach to working with colleagues. I work best in a group, when I can collaborate, share ideas, debate issues, and eventually come up with the right approach to a client problem. I am convinced that I would not have approached the law that way during my career if I had not been exposed to that collaborative, explorative method while in law school.
The S.J. Quinney College of Law is the author of my life’s work. I’ve had an amazing series of experiences, acquaintances, privileges, and resulting opportunities to make a positive impact in the lives of many people. I would not have any of that without the College of Law.”
— Lowell Brown, Class of 1982
Brown is a health care operations lawyer, with nearly 40 years’ experience in the world of hospitals and medical providers. During that time he has helped his provider clients achieve success in a wide range of business, regulatory, and medico-legal matters.
REACH OUT TO THE CDO TEAM
You can also reach out to anyone on the CDO team by phone or email, or book a meeting through the Calendly Meeting Scheduler links below.