COMPETITIONS & CERTIFICATES
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY COURSE OFFERINGS AND CERTIFICATE
The University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law Program on Intellectual Property Law and Policy (PIPLAP) offers students a full range of intellectual property courses, two student competitions, as well as a JD certificate in intellectual property law.
CORE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY COURSES
These courses cover the essential elements of intellectual property law and students seeking a Certificate in Intellectual Property Law should take most or all of these courses.
The COL sponsors teams to compete in two national IP-related competitions each year. These are each treated as two-credit (pass-fail) courses in the Spring of each year, though team selection is made, and some work is required, in the Fall.
- AIPLA Giles S. Rich Moot Court Competition
- National Patent Application Drafting Competition
OTHER RELATED COURSES
These courses may be useful for students who plan to practice in the field of intellectual property law and cover related skills and topics. Students should consult their faculty advisors to discuss which courses best suit their IP career goals.
- Advocacy, Policy, and Access: A Study of The Myriad Gene Patenting Litigation
- Business and IP in the Modern Economy (MLS only)
- Business Organizations
- Colloquium in Contemporary Issues in Law and the Health Sciences (aka Law and Biomedicine)
- Commercial Law
- Data Privacy Practice
- Drafting Contracts
- Entrepreneurship and the Law
- Externships and Learning From Practice
- Federal Courts
- Genetics and Medicine: Ethical, Legal and Social Issues
- Health Law
- International Business Transactions